Monday, February 23, 2009

crafty and frugal

A sweater that I really like recently developed a hole. Sad. Typically, I would use the opportunity of a holey sweater as an excuse to buy a new sweater. However, because of recent budget cuts in our household, I can't really justify a shopping trip.

Luckily the hole in the sweater was along a seam, so entirely fixable. Unfortunately sewing a straight seam is really a challenge for me. And the hole, while on the seam had frayed out a bit, so I worried that trying to fix the hole with a straight seam would make the sweater look puckery. Seeing as the hole was on a front shoulder seam, puckery sewing would be noticeable.

While I cannot stitch a straight seam, I am pretty good at embroidery, do I dug out my handy copy of Mary Thomas's Dictionary of Embroidery Stitches. Mostly I look at this book and never do any stitching, but this time I found a lovely decorative stitch and got to work.


Here's how it turned out:


And here's the detail:I must say I am pretty proud of myself both in terms of craft and frugality. Now I just need to learn how to darn socks.

5 comments:

Clint Gardner said...

Crafty! I nominate you for the Crafty Award of the English Department.

Dr Write said...

Wow! I need you to come back here and teach me to be crafty. I have so many sweaters with holes. Unfortunately they are not in spots that would be helped by your stitch. But I like that you have that book. Now, I just need to find a crafty friend to so my stitching for me!

Lisa B. said...

Damn crafty. Beautiful! Also, I can see why you wouldn't want to lose that excellent sweater.

Now, as for darning socks: my grandmother was an excellent sock darner. As I understand it, you start with a darning egg. That's pretty much the extent of my darning wisdom, however.

nell's news said...

Forget about darning the socks and just knit yourself new ones. Grandma Kora would be so proud of your stitches.

lis said...

But then I'll have to learn to knit Lanelle!! I've tried before and it didn't go so well. thanks for your comment about grandma. :)